Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Michigan’s Nico Collins, Cesar Ruiz waiting to make pro decisions - MLive.com

WINTER GARDEN, Fla. — While Michigan football has had three players publicly announce their plans for 2020, at least two are waiting to make a decision.

Wide receiver Nico Collins and offensive lineman Cesar Ruiz both told reporters Saturday after practice at West Orange High School that they are waiting until after the Citrus Bowl.

Both players are classified as juniors with one more year of eligibility remaining.

“That’s not really important to me right now,” said Ruiz, who’s started the last two seasons at center. “We’re focused on winning this game. After the game, me and my family will talk to coach and make a decision from there."

As Michigan winds down its practice schedule ahead of the Jan. 1 game vs. Alabama (1 p.m., ABC), three players with outstanding eligibility have made their decision known. Earlier this month, linebacker Josh Uche — eligible for a medical redshirt — said he would forego his final season and enter the NFL draft. This week, both defensive end Kwity Paye and tight end Nick Eubanks said they would return.

MORE: Michigan CBs up for the challenge vs. Alabama’s dynamic WRs

“I’m not sure yet,” said Collins, who caught 33 passes for 681 yards and seven touchdowns. “I’m going to sit down with my family after the game and have a dinner-time discussion about what I got planned.”

Neither player is currently projected to go very high in the 2020 NFL Draft. In his latest “big board” for ESPN, draft analyst Mel Kiper doesn’t even rank Collins or Ruiz in his list of top-10 draft-eligible players at each position.

What that means for their draft prospects is unclear, but Collins’ 6-foot-4, 222-pound frame is certainly NFL ready. He’s also put together two productive seasons at Michigan, combining for 71 catches, more than 1,300 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns. He’s a two-time all-Big Ten honorable mention.

College underclassmen have until Jan. 20 to declare for the NFL draft, set for April 23-25 in Las Vegas.

RELATED: Ambry Thomas wants to bet on himself vs. Alabama

“I really just need to sit down with my family, do the pros and the cons of what I feel like doing,” Collins said. "The what-ifs. How I feel about it. Am I ready? Things like that. It’s a family discussion. I see it like a recruiting process coming to college.”

It’s possible a productive game against Alabama could help sway Collins and Ruiz, a three-year starter along Michigan’s offensive line. Offensive linemen are much more difficult to gauge since there’s no statistical reinforcements. But Ruiz has steadily improved up front, to the point of earning second-team all-Big Ten honors from the coaches in 2019 and third-team honors from the media.

“My game has evolved a lot,” Ruiz said. "From freshman year — starting guard — to now, I mean I feel like I matured a lot. Made a lot of improvements in my game switching back to my normal position. I just feel like I’ve improved and matured a lot in taking my responsibilities in becoming more of a leader.”

Michigan is still waiting on a decision from wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones, who has not been made available to reporters this week.

Read more on Michigan football:

Michigan, Alabama take break from Citrus Bowl prep, visit Universal Studios

TE Nick Eubanks plans to return in 2020

RB Christian Turner injured, likely out for Citrus Bowl

Citrus Bowl storylines: Can U-M slow Alabama’s receivers?

DE Kwity Paye will return to Michigan in 2020

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"waiting" - Google News
December 29, 2019 at 05:03AM
https://ift.tt/2rzMrPC

Michigan’s Nico Collins, Cesar Ruiz waiting to make pro decisions - MLive.com
"waiting" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2oFixIf
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment